Church Shopping
>> Sunday, September 14, 2008
I really don't like church shopping. I feel like for most of my adulthood we've been looking for a church. First of all, you have all of the weeks and months it takes to find the church you want to attend. Then there are months if not years of just getting to know people (all of those uncomfortable hello's and conversations) and figuring out which ministries to get involved in, etc... In college, we had one that we liked but it was 45 minutes away and, being college students, often slept later and attended one that was closer. For the two years we lived in Tucson we never found a church that we really liked. When we moved to Virginia, it took three months before we found Immanuel Bible Church. We liked it and attended for about two years, but even after getting involved in ministries, it never really felt like "home". It wasn't until we started going to RBC three and a half years ago that we truly felt settled. And although RBC will always be a huge part of our lives as our sending church, we're again back to "shopping." Today tried Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship. It is one of the MANY mega churches in the Dallas area. As we were walking Orin and Micaiah over to the children's center Orin got excited and asked "Are we going to the airport!" We laughed and said no and then he said, "Are we going to the pool?" (It looked like the Rec Center we went to in VA). When they went into their different classes, we were told they would be together during their worship time, a puppet show, and on the playground. Wow, we figured they would be rushing to get all of that done. By the end of the service, we knew how they fit all of it in. It lasted 2 1/2 hours! I definitely think that was the longest service we'd ever been to - and we've been to a lot of churches. Not sure yet if we'll go back . I think there are about 7,000 members which is pretty big. There are a lot of churches to try and I just wish we didn't have to do it. Oh well, God will lead us to the church for us - I just hope it's sooner than later.



1 comments:
2 1/2 hours!!!! Oh my. LOL I'll pray for you to find "your" church soon!
Post a Comment