Last Minute Road Trip

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

We decided to go to New Orleans for a last minute road trip. Originally, we had considered going but then decided not to because Damien didn't think he should take off of work. But Thursday he came home around 1pm and said that things weren't going to be as busy as he thought and that we could go. We left at 5pm. I don't think I've ever packed so fast before. Luckily I had finished laundry a few days before so I only had to do two loads. I can't believe I got everything done and only forgot a few things. It was a great trip and we're glad we went. Even though it was short, it didn't seem quite as stressful as it does sometimes. Maybe because there were less days to have to organize what we would do? I know there are a lot of pictures here but I have a million cute ones and it's so hard to choose! Here is a little run-down on what we did each day:

- Thursday. Left Dallas around 5pm and got to Kenner around 1am Friday morning. About 8 hours driving. A couple of stops on the side of the road for the kids to pee but non-stop otherwise. Not bad.
- Friday Morning. Hung out with my family in the morning. The kids swam with Aunt Emily and Pops and had a grand old time.









- Friday Afternoon. Went to Aunt Christina's house (Damien's sister) and met baby Clay. I think I held him for about 4 hours straight! So nice. That evening we had dinner at Mandina's with the rest of Damien's family. Yummy! Hung out with them for the rest of the evening at Mimie's house.

A mini smile?
Mimie and her grandsons.

He is just too adorable when he sleeps.
- Saturday. Hung out with Damien's family. The kids swam with their cousins and we just relaxed. Nina, Pops, Ryan and Emily came over and we had the normal July 4th fare (hamburgers/hot dogs, potato salad, apple salad) and then a birthday cake for Uncle Rob. Great day!

Caiah enjoying some yummy ice cream with his cousin Eli.
Me in heaven while holding baby Clay. I can see myself with another one of these (the question is weather or not Damien can.) :-)
Damien entertaining the boys with Space trivia.

- Sunday Morning. Church in the morning. Always great to see old friends. Lunch at Casa Garcia! We eat out constantly when we're in NOLA but we can't help it. Got to squeeze in as much food as possible while we're here.

- Sunday Afternoon/Evening. Hung out at Nina & Pop's house. Mimie came over too. The kids swam again! (the 3rd time in 3 days!) Went to get snow balls which the kids loved of course. (and me too). Nina's shrimp etoufee for dinner!

The kids have a hard time running and making it all of the way down the slip-n-slide (actually they can't even make it half way) so Pops helps them out.






- Monday. Lunch with Pops at VooDoo BBQ. I love the stuffed baked potato! After lunch Damien & I went and saw Public Enemies. It's nice to have free babysitting! Then we went home, got the kids, and went to Clearview Mall to visit Emily at work. Hooray for free gelato! Back at home for baths and play time. Phew! The day flew by! I guess I took a break from taking pictures this day.

- Tuesday. Probably our busiest day all all. Breakfast with Grandpa Buddy & Ms. Debbie who have finally been able to move back into their home that flooded in Hurricane Katrina after working on it for almost 4 years. Then we had a late lunch with Mimie at New Orleans Hamburger (which was surprisingly tastier than I had remembered). We ran back home for a nap for the kids (and me) then headed back to the west bank for dinner with the Daspits. It was another late night and the kids got to bed around 11pm.

Orin & Grandpa Buddy

Grandpa buddy with 5 of his 6 Daspit grandson's.
- Wednesday. We were in no hurry to get up and go. We got up late and then packed everything. We left around 11:30pm. We went through some crazy rain for about an hour and had to drive about 30mph and still could barely see. It was nice to finally get through it and make it home.

The last part of our drive back from NOLA to Dallas is always hard on the kids because it's always late afternoon and we are headed directly west - the sun is right smack in their eye.
Micaiah making a hat out of his 'badi'. (His name for his blanket.)

1 comments:

Michelle July 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Sounds like a great short visit. I really like all the pictures and your right, those boys of yours are cute...

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP