Homemade Ornaments
>> Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Since we haven't had a tree in a VERY long time, I figured I'd let the kids make some ornaments. I found this recipe on a blog and thought it would be fun to try it out. I halved the recipe because it looked like it would make a ton and we still had plenty of dough left over. It's very similar to making sugar cookies and since we just did this about a month ago, these pictures look much the same as those. But the kids loved it just the same. I, on the other hand, am not a huge fan. It's hard enough for me to roll out the dough and make the cuts, nevertheless trying to help a kid do it. But like I said, the most important part is that we had fun doing it!
Both kids love to cook and now every time I'm making something their favorite part is pouring in the ingredients.
Caiah is so tactile - he has to touch everything!
Rolling out the dough - it's never as easy as I expect it to be.
You can tell he's having a lot of fun!
I thought it was so cute that they were helping each other out.
Their hands looked so cute - I had to get a close-up.
I was ready to be done but they wanted to keep going. They took a glob of dough - Micaiah was the roller and Orin pressed the cookie cutter worker. As you can see they just kept going back and forth - Micaiah rolling then Orin pressing a cookie cutter - over and over. I think the did this for more than 30 minutes.
Barney got a little too close to the action. He had to be washed or there would have been a fit when going to bed. Caiah is still VERY attached. See this post.
Again, Orin is in his underwear. I guess I didn't realize how seldom he has pants on until recently when I was looking at all of my pictures and noticed that I barely have him pictured in pants. The child still insists on taking both pants and underwear off to go potty (even if he's just standing up to pee). I'm happy when he manages to get his underwear back on without me having to tell him. Anyway, back to the ornaments.When we were done Orin decided to take the rest of the dough, add more water and make his on concoction. He used the teaspoon to stir - well he TRIED to stir it - without much luck.
A rare picture with both smiling AND looking at the camera - well at least facing the camera.
Here they are finished (minus the two they picked out as their favorites.)
They both picked out their favorite ornament. Ironically they were both ones that I had painted.



3 comments:
You're a brave woman. I've yet to make anything with cookie cutter with the boys ... luckily, my mom has sent them sugar cutout cookies often so I've gotten away with it. ;)
Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of work. Way to go mom!
So much fun! LOL I laughed at Barney. Also the rolling pin with the dough all stuck to it. That's what ALWAYS happened to me. After the Pumpkin Cookie fiasco at Thanksgiving, I think I'll leave the baking to you. :D
Post a Comment