Ah Christmas - Better Late Then Never, I guess
>> Thursday, February 2, 2012
This was our second Christmas away from home. I couldn’t
really tell if it was easier or harder. I didn’t get my act together early
enough to plan a lot of Advent type activities for the month. We read the
Christmas story – a lot!. The kids (with my help) made cookies to bring to
school. Damien downloaded a bunch of Christmas movies – old and new – and many
nights were spent eating popcorn, drinking hot chocolate and watching the
movies. We really tried hard to make it special. In some ways, because there is
so little “Christmas” around us distracting us with fun and lights and
activities, the kids have an easier time realizing it’s about celebrating
Jesus’ birth. THEY were the ones asking to watch movies about the “real”
meaning of Christmas. THEY were the ones asking to read the story about Jesus’
birth every night. THEY were the ones begging me to pick a name from the Angel Tree at school. I wish I had had made more plans for ways for us to minister to
people as a family during the month. But I have some good ideas for next year
and hopefully I’ll be more prepared.
Christmas morning was fun. We got on Skype with Damien’s mom
and grandmother and it was fun to have them participate and talk to us. The
kids opened their ‘Christmas Around the World’ gifts first. It’s my favorite
part of Christmas. They get so many gifts from other people that we don’t
really feel the need to give them anything. We put some things in their
stockings. I made some homemade “scratch-off” coupons. I got the idea form THIS SITE. They were a hit. They each got a coupon for going to McDonald’s, one for
playing chess, and one for an hour of video games. My parents got online around
10am and the kids opened their presents from them. Damien’s Christmas gift was
to have dinner at a local restaurant. We had Thanksgiving with friends, and
Christmas Eve with friends and it was important to him have Christmas just as a
family. Hopefully, one day we’ll have Christmas with extended family again.
After their stockings they opened their Christmas around the world gifts. I was sad that two of the gifts didn't have addresses in them so we couldn't send Thank-you notes. I hope they know how much we appreciate them!
Sora is obsessed with tigers so I got her a little tiger purse. She immediately insisted that it was a backpack and didn't take it off the rest of the morning.



0 comments:
Post a Comment