"We'd love to adopt but we just can't afford it."

>> Thursday, October 8, 2009

I can't count how many times I've heard someone say this when the topic of adoption comes up. In fact, if I had a nickel for every time I heard it I could probably pay for my adoption. Ok, I'm just kidding. :-) But seriously, the cost of adoption is high. Whether you adopt domestically or internationally it's more money than most people have just lying around waiting to be spent. And I bet it's the number one variable that keeps people from adopting. What a tragedy it is that there are people who want to open their hearts to an orphan but can't or don't because they don't think they can afford it. For many people it is a huge leap of faith when they begin their adoption and have no idea how they will cover the cost.

But the amazing thing is that there are so many organizations out there that can help pay for it. This includes grants, low/no interest loans, matching grants, etc. And there are even organizations that will help you organize fundraising. We have friends who paid for almost their entire adoption through these wonderful grants.

When I first heard about this, I did a lot of research to see if there were any that we could apply for. We've applied to some of these organizations, and I thought I'd share the list just in case there is someone who would like to adopt but is feeling overwhelmed by the mountain of fees that lay in the way. I'm sure this list isn't exhaustive. (the rest of this post is just a list of organizations so feel free to stop reading!)

Gift of Adoption Fund - gives grants in amounts of $1,500 - $7,500 for those adopting from Hague Countries

God's Grace Adoption Ministry - gives matching grants (for example, you raise $2,500 from family and friends and God's Grace will give you $2,500)

Shaohannah's Hope - foundation started by Steven Curtis Chapman that gives grants in varying amounts to Christian couples

A Child Waits Foundation - gives grants in varying amounts as well as low-interest loans

Promise the Children - adoption grants in varying amounts

National Adoption Foundation - gives grans ranging from $500 - $2,500 as well as fundraising opportunities

Lifesong for Orphans - gives matching grants from $1,000 - $4,000 with support for to the fundraising process as well as interest free loans up to $10,000

Sea of Faces - gives grans in varying amounts to Christian couples

A Child's Desire - great ideas for fundraising as well as grants for difficult to place children

His Kids, Too! - This grant program is set up that donors make tax-deductible donations to His Kids Too! and then you may apply for a grant for the funds generated by donors.

Brittany's Hope Foundation - They put grant money on specific children that are submitted to them by placing agencies in the hopes of getting potential families interested in the child. On their site you can see a photo listing of children and how much the grant is that is being offered for that child.

ABBA Fund - Interest free loans for adoption expenses

Caroline's Promise - gives grans from $3,000 - $5,000 for Christian couples adopting who live in North Carolina.

Home For Good Foundation - wonderful fundraising support and ideas

I Care - adoption grants

Ava's Hope - adoption grants

Adoption Link - grans for families who are adopting HIV+ children

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP