Loy Krathong & Yi Peng
>> Wednesday, December 8, 2010
We might be missing a lot of fun US holidays but we're trying to begin enjoying the colorful and interesting holiday's here in Thailand. Our first occurred on November 21. It's called Loy Krathong. As Thailand is 98% Buddhist, most, if not all of the holidays revolve around Buddhist beliefs. But much like Christmas is to many people in the West, the holidays are now more for the "fun" and not as much for the reason they were first began.
Let me tell you, Thai's know how to celebrate. For the entire month of November we heard fireworks constantly. The good thing is that it's helped the boys get over their fire work phobia. :-) We'd hear fireworks all into the night and sometimes I'd get woken up at 4 am to the sound. The night of actual Loy Krathong (I think it's always the full moon) was like nothing I've ever heard. We walked "downtown" and the boys lasted a little while, but after about 30 minutes the noise was just too much for them.
Loy Krathong was basically begun as a holiday to give honor to the Goddess of water spirits. As your Krathong floats away, so do all of your troubles. Some people add money to their Krathongs to give to the spirits. I've been told you can see children a few meters down the river "hunting" for the Krathongs with money one them. :-) You can read more about Loy Krathong here.


Loi Krathong coincides with the Lanna (northern Thai) festival known as "Yi Peng". Due to a difference between the old Lanna calendar and the Thai calendar, Yi Peng is held on a full moon of the 2nd month of the Lanna calendar ("Yi" meaning "2nd" and "Peng" meaning "month" in the Lanna language). A multitude of Lanna-style sky lanterns are launched into the air where they resemble large flocks of giant fluorescent jellyfish gracefully floating by through the sky. The festival is meant as a time for “tham bun” - to make merit. People usually make khom loi from a thin fabric, such as rice paper, to which a candle or fuel cell is attached. When the fuel cell is lit, the resulting hot air which is trapped inside the lantern creates enough lift for the khom loi to float up in to the sky. In addition, people will also decorate their houses, gardens and temples with khom fai - intricately shaped paper lanterns which take on different forms. The most elaborate Yi Peng celebrations can be seen in Chiang Mai, the ancient capital of the former Lanna kingdom, where now both Loi Krathong and Yi Peng are celebrated at the same time resulting in and lights floating on the waters, and lights hanging from trees and buildings or standing on walls, and lights floating by in the sky.







3 comments:
Wow! I remember you telling me about this, Renee, but to see it is amazing! I loved seeing you sending Grump on his way. Who would have guessed moving to Thailand would cure the fireworks fear.
Oh how beautiful!! Thanks for telling us about these celebrations and the pics of the kids. I know it's totally different, but it reminded me of something a friend who just moved to Canada told me about. http://www.centrecitytalk.com/my_weblog/2010/08/500-illuminated-spheres-floating-down-the-bow.html
I'd never seen these lanterns before, but read about them on your blog (I love seeing what you're doing). A friend and I saw 'Tangled' (Disney's take on Rapunzel) for New Year's and they had these lanterns too. Beautiful!
Post a Comment