Happy 5th Birthday Orin!

>> Friday, April 2, 2010

Orin turned 5 on Saturday. I can't believe it's been five years since he was born. Of course, when I think about how much our lives have changed since then it seems like a lifetime ago. He's lived in five different homes in three states. Of course, Micaiah is only 3 1/2 and has too. No one can say these children aren't incredibly adaptable.

The moment he was born I was in love. Every moment of his first year was bliss. I had always wanted to be a mom, but after trying to have a baby for two years, having to use fertility meds to get pregnant, and losing our first baby to a miscarriage (the hardest thing I've ever been through), I was so so so so so happy when he was born. We are amazed by this little boy and are so thankful to God for giving him to us.

Here is a little about Orin at 5 years old:

*He loves Star Wars. He knows everything about it. It all started when we got some Star Wars Lego's from the boutique. By just reading books and asking questions about it he knows everything there is to know about it. He got to watch the first (original) Star Wars for the first time on his birthday. We have been telling him for a year that he could watch it when he turns 5. It was so much fun watching him enjoy it.

*He loves his sister. Although, not surprisingly, he is a little rough at time. He randomly kisses her and tries to make her smile. I love that he'll often be trying to make her smile, she will sort of whine and not be happy with it, but he won't notice and say, "She loves me!"

*If you ask him who his best friend is he will always says it is Micaiah. On the days when they are at school together, they always play with each other on the playground. They play together all day at home, and even on the days they are butting heads they still can't seem to play without each other.

*He is still crazy as ever. He is full of energy and would be bouncing off of the walls all day if I let him. He's slowly getting better and better at sitting still and calming down when he needs to, but it is a struggle and totally against his nature.

*He enjoys school but some days would rather stay home. He still has trouble sometimes not talking and making silly noises during circle time.

*He often shows his love by jumping on you. It can sometimes hurt but he only means it out of love.

*He is an amazing reader. He finished the 1st grade Hooked on Phonics. He hasn't wanted to practice reading the past few months so we took a break. We recently started reading a little again the past month and it's like he's somehow gotten better. I truly think he reads much more than we know. At the grocery store, at school, at home, in the car, etc... I love when he randomly reads something.

*Although he can be so silly, he can also have such amazing deep thoughts. He asks questions such as, "How can God hear us if he is all of the way up in Heaven? He must have really big ears!" I also love the way he really tries to understand difficult spiritual concepts. He'll try to explain the Trinity to us and say stuff like, "When Jesus goes in God tummy he's God, but when he comes out he is Jesus." His most recent struggle is about sin. He'll say, "I believe in Jesus, but if he has taken away my sin, why do I still do bad things?" We love that he is so interested in spiritual things and hope that we can guide him to a deeper understanding and love for God.

*Orin's two favorite things right now are Star Wars and Care Bears. I love how different these things are. He can love the action-packed adventure themes and the caring, loving themes.

*Orin also still loves space. He loves his planet blanket that Nina made for him. He sleeps with that and his seven stuff animals. He always has to make sure they are all there before going to bed.

*Orin's favorite foods are Macaroni & Cheese, carrots, and cheese.

*He doesn't like cake. But he'll always take a piece of cake if you offer it to him and eat every bit of icing - but not the cake.

*Orin runs around all day non-stop, but as soon as he gets in bed, he is usually out in a flash.

*He has been scared of the outside lately - specially because he is scared of bee's. We're not exactly sure why. When we were going through the transition of moving from New Orleans to Dallas (with a stop in VA) he was really scared of being outside because of loud noises (e.g. airplanes, grasshoppers, etc.). So we think that maybe it has something to do with the transition of Sora being here. It could also be that he's gotten a series of vaccinations over the past month which has been pretty traumatic for him. He knows a bee sting is similar to a shot. Either way, it's sad because he doesn't want to play outside.

*Orin loves to make people - especially other kids - laugh. He'll be all silly, tell jokes, etc... Younger kids will laugh but kids his age or older just look at him like he's crazy.

*His favorite color had always been pink until someone told him it was a girl's color. Sad. Now it's red.

*He is amazing on the computer. I can't believe how much he can do and figure out.

I know there are so many things to say about Orin and I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll think of a hundred more. We love him so much and can't imagine our lives without him.

4 comments:

Julie April 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Happy birthday Orin!!!! I love that he and Eli have similarities... It is so fun having little boys!

Nina April 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

I love to read these kinds of posts SO much! I only wish I had done something like this for all of you. He's such a special, precious little boy. I still can't get over that he is five. I can picture everyone of you at 5 like it was just yesterday. It gets old but "where does the time go?"

Special Treasures April 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I certainly know how you feel Margaret. I do the same things. It is difficult to believe that it was over 4 years ago that you were here with the little boy. He was adorable them and precious now.
Happy Birthday, Orin.

Michelle April 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

Wow Happy birthday Orin it doesn't seem possible that he is 5, where did the time go by.

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP