A special party
>> Monday, April 5, 2010
Until now we have always had the kids birthday parties with just us or our family if they happened to be in town. We were planning to do that again this year, but when Orin asked if his friend Aidan was going to be here for his birthday(just like he was at Aidan's birthday) I figured we needed to have a "real" party for him. He was so excited about it. At first he said he wanted a Care Bears party but changed his mind and settled on Star Wars. We had 4 kids (plus Orin and Micaiah), 4 adults and 3 babies including Sora. I would have loved to invite more people but we just couldn't fit another soul in our small place. And since rain was called for I didn't want to have to rely on being able to go outside. The party was a blast and I think Orin really really enjoyed it. That's the most important thing, right?
The party was at 5:30pm on a Friday and I was thankful that Damien had off for Good Friday to help me out. Sora was relegated to eating lunch in the foyer while we got everything set up.
I had no desire (or time) to attempt a fancy Star Wars cake and even if I had my lack of artistic ability would have not helped it be a success. So we found some great "edible cake toppers" on Ebay. They had TONs to choose from. Orin picked this one out and it was nice that I could even have it personalized for him.
This was the food table. We also had drinks. Our featured drink was "Yoda soda." Basically it was sprite and green sherbet. Everyone seemed to love it - even the adults!
The kids helped me make these fun mini edible light sabers. We melted white chocolate, used green and red food coloring and then dipped the pretzels. I didn't love they way the tasted but it was fun to do.
The kids table. We didn't want them on the carpet so the only other place was the foyer. :-) They didn't seem to mind.
We played a game called "Pass the Death Star." Basically it was a bunch of candy rolled up in aluminum foil. Whoever had it when the music stopped got to keep it. We played three times so there would be more winners. Orin really wanted to win but he was a really good sport each time when he didn't. I was proud of him.
The next game was pin-the-light saber-on-Yoda. I think the kids really liked this one too. I had also made a Star Wars bingo game but we didn't end up having time to play it.
All Orin talked about all week was getting to open presents. I guess he's been to enough birthday parties to know that if you have friends there you get more gifts. :-)
I love how everyone is so crowded around him...I could hardly get a picture.
Cake! I think they liked it!
And of course we had to have cake for breakfast the next morning.
Singing Happy Birthday.



4 comments:
We had yoda juice at our wedding reception. hee hee. I LOVE the light sabers w/pretzel and chocolate. awesome idea. happy birthday, orin!!
What a great party, Orin!! Mimie wishes she had been there. You all had so much fun!! I love and miss you all!
Love,
Mimie
i loved everything about this party! Awesome.
what a fun party!!! i'm going to have to remember those games...
Post a Comment